Rationale / Justification
- Rampant preventable communicable and non-communicable diseases.
- Need to strengthen communities’ capacity to participate in preventive and promotive health activities.
- Re-orientation of the practice of health care and health provision.
Duration, Structure and Organization
BScCH is a four academic year programme that is implemented over three calendar years on a trimester basis. The programme is implemented through both full-time and part-time modes of study.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme
The programme aims to develop students in the Bachelor of Science in Community Health who by the end of the programme will have the ability to:
- Provide leadership in planning and implementation of health activities for the improvement of community health status
- Assist communities and community based organizations to develop appropriate and effective long term and short terms Strategic Plans
- Plan and conduct community health research and disseminate results for the improvement of health community health programmes
- Develop and implement training programmes for community education, mobilization and advocacy for both the health workers and the communities
- Demonstrate ability to mobilize and manage resources for community health activities
- Plan and implement disease surveillance in the community and apply appropriate disease management and control measures
Mode of Study
Full Time(Meru Campus)
For admission into the above programme, a candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
KCSE C+(Plus) or equivalent with a C+(plus) in Mathematics/ Physics, Chemistry/ Physical Science, Biology/Biological Science
Be a holder of Diploma in Community Health or in any other health related discipline recognized by the University Senate.
Be a holder of any other Diploma or equivalent qualifications recognized by the University Senate and having 2 years’ working experience in the health sector.
Be a holder of KCSE with mean grade of C+ or above or its equivalent and have at least the following specific course grades:
- English/Kiswahili C+
- Mathematics C+
- Biology/Biological Sciences C+
- Chemistry/Physical Sciences C+