Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Perform laboratory examinations
- Work harmoniously, ethically and professionally with physicians, colleagues and patients, and exemplify Christian love and service values.
- Select, use and maintain Laboratory equipment.
- Develop administrative skills in laboratory supervision and management
- Develop competent laboratory personnel
- Participate in research activities pertaining to medical laboratory sciences
- Maintain high quality control procedures and systems in the laboratory
- Develop skills for life long learning in order to engage in continuing professional development.
Mode of Study
Full Time, Part Time and Distance Learning (Meru and Nairobi Campuses)
The programme admits direct and mature entry candidates. A candidate wishing to be considered for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences in the direct entry category shall have the following requirements:
K.C.S.E C+ (plus) with C+ (plus) and passes in either (1) Mathematics/Physics, English/Kiswahili, Chemistry, Biology or (2) English/Kiswahili, Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Biological Sciences.
Be a holder of KACE with a minimum of one principal pass in Biology and subsidiary pass in Chemistry, Maths/Physics.
Be a holder of any other qualification accepted by the university senate as equivalent to any of the above
Mature entry requirements
A candidate wishing to be considered for a degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences shall have the following requirements:
A minimum aggregate of C (Plain) or above at KCSE or their equivalents
- Be a holder of Division II in 'O' levels with credit passes in:
- Alternative A:
- Chemistry and Maths/Physics
- Alternative B:
- Biological Sciences
- Maths/Physical Sciences
- Alternative A:
In Addition to the minimum entry requirements, the candidate MUST have:
A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences with at least a credit pass from an institution recognized by the Kenya medical laboratory technicians and technologists board (KMLTTB)
The mature entry course attracts credit transfer as follows:-
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences - 55 credit hours
Higher Diploma in Medical Laboratory sciences - 66 credit hours
The candidate who successfully completes the programme as outlined in the curriculum and passes the examinations, both written and practical shall be awarded the Bachelor of Science in medical laboratory science
The graduates are required Kenya medical laboratory technicians and technologists board to sit for licensing examination at a degree level.
The Bachelor of science in medical laboratory sciences is approved by all regulatory bodies including CHE and KMLTTB.