Philosophy of the Programme
To produce a wholesome individual who is mentally developed in order to use the opportunities available for development of educational counseling profession and enhancement of quality life.
Rationale of the Programme
- Inadequate Trained Education Personnel in Guidance and Counselingdespite the existence of teacher education programmes, there are inadequate trained personnel in Education Guidance and counseling in the sector. The proposed programme will contribute to capacity building in the area of guidance and counseling.
- Need for Guidance and Counseling Coursesthis proposed programme is but one of the courses needed to equip specially trained personnel for counseling courses.
- Guidance and Counseling for In and Out of School Youth/Children and/or Adults
The youth/school children are facing many social, economic or educational problems. These problems are turning the youghs into delinquents and misfits in society.
Thus counselors are needed to help such youths who may be in school or out of school. Some adults too, need counseling in order to cope with social, economic and other pressure of life.
Justification of the need for the Programme
The behavioral/personality/disciplinary problems evident in today’s society (especially in the education sector), challenges in Education such as need for responsive curriculum, loading and anxiety to excel, job market demands for certain skills and qualifications, require well trained educational guidance counselors, who can offer professional guidance and counseling. Similarly, career selection and development or investing in education requires expert advice. This M.Ed degree is designed to meet the needs of practicing/prospective counselors and to address social, educational and psychological problems being experienced/faced by students, parents and the general public; some of these problems may have negative impact on learning.
Expected Learning Outcomes of the Programme
In order to achieve the purpose of the programme, the graduates of this programme are expected to:
- Make a critical appraisal on theory and practice of guidance and counseling.
- Provide consultation services in guidance, counseling and training management.
- Design a comprehensive programme on the administration of guidance and counseling services.
- Provide leadership in matters related to guidance and counseling
- To provide a basis for advanced student/research in educational guidance and counseling
- Conduct research in the area of guidance and counseling.
Mode of Delivery
- Full time (FT)
- Part time( weekend/evenings)
- School Based
- Distance Learning Mode
Admission requirements for the M.Ed in Education Guidance and Counseling
For admission/eligibility into the above programme, a candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
- Be a holder of a Bachelor of Education and Counseling degree of KEMU or Bachelor of Education degree from any other recognized institution with a minimum GPA of 3.00 or its equivalent.
- Be a holder of Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) Second Class Honours, Upper Division with a postgraduate diploma in education from a recognized institution.
- Be a holder of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed Arts/Sciences) Second class honors (Lower Division) and at least three years of relevant work experience and evidence to carry out research work through having presented research papers or having made presentation of publications. Alternatively, be holder of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science with a Second Class Honours(Lower Division) but with a Post Graduate Diploma in Education/Guidance and Counseling/Counseling and at least three years of relevant work experience and evidence to carry out research work through having presented research papers or having made presentation of publications.