The Tourism industry is one of the largest foreign exchange earners in Kenya with its total contribution to the gross domestic product (GDP) pegged at 10 percent in 2011(GoK, 2011). The ability of this industry to attract and retain skilled employees is critical for the industry’s growth (GoK, 2013). This can only be achieved through appropriate industry-driven training and education. It was with this in mind that the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management was established in 2014.
In line with the university’s mission, the department of Hospitality and Tourism Management aims at training students to become experts in Hospitality and Tourism and play a leading role in the society. The programmes offered in the Department will play a critical role in training graduates who can work in the Hospitality and Tourism and Travel industry in Kenya and internationally. The programmes are intended to equip students with relevant knowledge, skills and attitudes, towards alleviation of the challenges facing individuals and organisations in the tourism sector.
VISION: To be an internationally recognised department in producing professionals well-grounded for the Hospitality and Tourism market.
MISSION: To produce agents of change for the society by offering high quality education, scholarship and academic leadership, in Hospitality and Tourism.
PURPOSE: To produce holistic individuals who are spiritually, intellectually and physically developed in order to use the opportunities available for the development of self, society and the Hospitality and Tourism industry as a whole.
- Hospitality Management
- Travel and Tourism Management
DEPARMENT LEADERSHIP AND ADMINISTRATION:
Dr. Methuselah Bichage Gesage (PhD): Chair of the Department
Dr. Mutinda Ndivo: Senior Lecturer
|Mr. Eric Mbae: Assistant Lecturer & Exams Officer||Ms Catherine Munyi: Assistant Lecturer||Judith Kiende: Assistant Lecturer|
The department of Hospitality and Tourism is housed in the School Business of Economics
- To produce individuals suitable to take up responsibilities in the dynamic Hospitality and Tourism industry as managers and supervisors.
- To inculcate leadership, managerial skills and professionalism that will enable our graduates apply the skills in the hospitality and Tourism industry.
- To demonstrate entrepreneurial roles to the graduates in the country so that they can provide employment not only to themselves but also to others.
- To develop and carry out Hospitality and Tourism community programmes to uplift the standards of living of the communities and the country at large.
- To facilitate industry involvement in the Department’s educational activities.
- To carry out and disseminate relevant, high quality research in the focused on addressing issues of concern in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES ON OFFER:
The following are the current programmes on offer;
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management (BSHM)
- Bachelor of Science in Travel and Tourism Management (BSTM)
- Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management (DHTM)
- Certificate in Hospitality Management (CHM)
MODES OF STUDY
The modes of study available are, Full-time (Regular), Evening, Week-end Intensive and the Distance learning Mode.
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES IN THE PIPELINE:
- Msc. In Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Msc in Tourism Management
- Bsc in Culinary Arts
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Travel & Tourism Management
- Certificate in Hospitality Management (Main Campus Only)
- Short industry based courses in Hospitality management
CREDIT TRANSFER POLICY:
Courses taken in another accredited university or college in the relevant field of study may be considered for credit transfer provided the candidate attained a credit grade of B or above in that course and it is acceptable by the department and the Faculty Board.
A student will not transfer more than half (50%) of the total credit hours required for graduation. Courses used to meet an ordinary certificate requirement are not transferable to satisfy degree credit requirement.
- A Bachelor of Science full time student is expected to complete the programme in eight (8) trimesters excluding four (4) months industrial attachment.
- A Diploma full time student is expected to complete the programme in eight (4) trimesters excluding four (4) months industrial attachment.
- A Certificate full time student is expected to complete the programme in eight (3) trimesters excluding four (4) months industrial attachment.
- A part-time & Distance Learning Bachelor of Science student (defined as taking less than full time load of 12-15 credit hours for the trimester in the duration of the programme) is expected to complete the programme in twelve trimesters including four (4) months of industrial attachment.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION:
Each applicant should complete an Official application form available from the office of the Registrar in Meru or campuses in Nakuru, Nairobi, Nyeri, Mombasa or other designated centres. The application forms are also available on the KEMU website (www.kemu.ac.ke). The application should be accompanied by all supporting documents showing the applicant's qualifications. The Registrar’s office will notify the applicant of his/her admission status.
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality management- Mean grade of C+ (plus) in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E) Or a Diploma In culinary arts, Hospitality Management, Food and Beverage Production and Service, Catering, House Keeping Management & Institutional Management
- Bachelor of Science in Travel and Tourism Management- Qualification is C+ (Plus) Or a Diploma in Tour & Travel, Tourism, Hospitality and Tourism, Tour Guiding & Wildlife Management
- Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management- Mean grade of C (plain) in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E) or a Certificate in Hospitality, Tour & Travel, Tourism, Wildlife Management ,Food and Beverage Production and Service, culinary arts , Catering or House Keeping
- Certificate in Hospitality Management- Mean grade of C-(minus) in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E)
After successful completion in the programs offered in this department, graduates can venture into the broad area of Hospitality and Tourism.
The following are some of the places that offer career opportunities in this field of study:
- Convention Centers
- Government Food Services
- Tour Operators
- Travel Agencies
The following are some job titles the graduates can acquire in the field of careers:
- Tour Guide
- Amusement and Recreation Attendant
- Restaurant Manager
- Event Organizers
- Licensed Club Managers
- Tourism and Travel Advisers
- Hotel General Manager
- Food and Beverages Manager
- Operations Manager
- Executive House Keeper
- Laundry Manager
- Air and Cabin Crew
- Executive Chef
Attached find the brochure here